Knight International Journalism Fellowship, Central Asia (Kazakhstan)
The International Center for Journalists seeks outstanding applicants with a strong background in Western TV media for a one-year Knight Fellowship involving the Central Asia region, based in Kazakhstan. The fellow will lead projects in collaboration with Kazakh state television networks to improve their reporting, news production and management practices, as well as raising their skills in data and digital journalism. The Fellow will also conduct training workshops for journalists from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and possibly Uzbekistan. The Fellow may also travel to some or all of those countries for short stints to work with television media there.
Through the consultation work inside newsrooms and the structures workshops, the Knight Fellow will work with journalists and managers on issues including:
- Reporting and interviewing
- Television writing and production
- Visual journalism
- Talk shows, in-depth reporting shows and other specialized programming
- Data journalism
- Websites and other digital news products
- Newsroom management
Qualifications and Skills
The successful candidate will:
- Possess a strong background working for high-quality U.S. and/or Western Europe TV networks
- Be a TV producer or practitioner with practical experience as a journalist
- Demonstrate strong proficiency in English and Russian languages (Kazakh is also acceptable)
- Demonstrate strong ability to write copy and possess experience at cutting/editing copy
- Understand how to apply new technologies, such as data and mobile
- Help stations optimize their content for TV, web and social media to attract new audiences
The Knight Fellow may be from any country, and will be based in Kazakhstan for his or her fellowship. The fellowship duration is 12 months, with the goal of starting by the end of June 2016.
How to Apply
For more information on the Knight Fellowships, including financial benefits and expenses covered by the fellowship, see our FAQs. We also strongly encourage candidates to view our current projects and fellows to better understand the work of our Knight Fellows.