ICFJ Google Fellow, India
The International Center for Journalists seeks outstanding applicants with a background in immersive and multimedia journalism for a six-month ICFJ Google Fellowship to help strengthen use of these tools and processes in Indian newsrooms.
The Fellow will lead the design and execution of a series of immersive storytelling projects at top Indian newsrooms, ensuring maximum organizational impact and best possible audience engagement. His or her work will be supervised by current ICFJ Knight Fellow Nasr ul Hadi and the ICFJ Knight team in Washington, D.C.
To achieve success in this role, you need to be an experienced journalist and multimedia producer with a strong understanding of news media and the latest visual storytelling formats. You must be a strong communicator and teacher at heart, enabling you to connect with local journalists and media managers to lead regular in-newsroom training sessions and guide them through news projects in which they adopt new technologies and storytelling formats. You must think deeply about methodology, curriculum and project management, and drive the creation of open tools and frameworks that enable digital-led reporting in ways that are cost-effective, sustainable and easily replicable for other newsrooms in the region.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience leading media projects that demonstrate pioneering use of the latest digital tools and multimedia gear for immersive visual journalism
- Experience in and vision for use of interactive video, drone videography, 360/VR narratives, text-led social microcontent, other distributed or immersive visual media formats and tools
- Ability to budget and prescribe multimedia kits and crew for various project types and scopes
- Experience in major newsrooms in the Global South, preferably in India
- Excellent leadership and management skills; bonus points for being influential in journalist/digital communities and networks
- Ability to work effectively in a team and manage several concurrent projects with timely deliverables
- Excellent public speaking and interpersonal skills to connect with newsrooms and mentor reporters
- Experience tracking key project analytics and metrics, including story reach and engagement
- Fluency in English and Hindi
The Fellow will be based in New Delhi, India, for his or her Fellowship. The duration of the fellowship is six months, with the goal of starting October 2017.
How to Apply
If you are interested in being a candidate, please apply here and select the Google India role on page one of the form. You can direct any questions to: Luisa Pires Luciano at firstname.lastname@example.org For more information on the ICFJ Knight Fellowships, including financial benefits and expenses covered by the fellowship, see our FAQs. We also strongly encourage candidates to view our current projects and fellows to better understand the work of our Knight Fellows.