East Timor: Delivering Radio and Television News to Isolated Communities
In East Timor, Knight International helped radio journalists provide for the first time an independent, national weekly newscast to listeners in all 13 districts of the country. Knight Fellow Maria-Gabriela Carrascalão Heard, East Timor’s first woman journalist, trained news teams in each district to produce weekly segments. She created the first university-level journalism program in the capital as well as the first student radio station.
- Mentored journalists to produce national news stories for a new weekly radio program aired throughout the country.
- Developed the country’s first university journalism program at the National University of Timor-Leste.
- Organized news conference with the prime minister, giving the media unprecedented access to the leading politician.
- Helped journalists produce videocasts for a new national, weekly on-line news program hosted on the International Center for Journalists' new Web site.
- Created a corps of professional broadcast journalists ahead of government plans to privatize TV stations.