Join a team that’s making a difference!
Fact-based journalism is under unprecedented attack at a time when a free, independent news media has never been more important. The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) works to ensure that the cornerstone of healthy democracies – increasing the flow of reliable, trustworthy news – stays strong for generations to come. We give journalists the support and tools they need to do their jobs better. Through our work, journalists are enhancing news coverage and connecting more deeply with their audiences. ICFJ’s network is truly international – in the past five years alone, we have worked with 132,000 journalists from 173 countries. ICFJ implements about 80+ programs in the United States and globally each year. Our programs have impact: Stories produced by our participants have led to the fall of corrupt governments, promoted better laws, and made communities safer and healthier. ICFJ is a fast-paced, global, multilingual organization that has a strong commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Job title: Content Manager
Department: Content & Community
Reports to: Communications Director
Starting salary: $57,000
Located: Washington, DC. Temporarily remote due to COVID-19. A hybrid model, a mix of remote and in-person, in summer 2022.
Position type: Full time
ICFJ is looking to add to its global staff by hiring a Content Manager to work for the Communications Department.
The Content Manager is an exciting new role at ICFJ that expands our communications team from two to three full-time people. This person’s primary responsibility will be to grow and more deeply engage our audiences through compelling and more frequent storytelling about the journalists ICFJ serves and how we support their essential work. Strong writing/editing and video production skills are essential.
Fortunately, there is no shortage of inspiring stories to tell about the journalists in our network, more than 132,000 strong, who are working against the odds to provide news and information to their communities amid surging disinformation -- coverage that, as the pandemic shows us, even saves lives. To advance this vital work, ICFJ runs more than 80 programs each year for journalists in the form of training, mentoring, fellowships or financial support. This programming falls under five areas critical for journalism today: Media innovation, investigative journalism, critical-issues reporting, financial sustainability, and research and resources.
This position entails two primary functions: managing and developing stories, including short-form video and written content, as well as overseeing video production for ICFJ’s annual Tribute to Journalists. The Content Manager will seek out stories that showcase the journalists in ICFJ’s global network, determine how best to tell the stories and produce them on a timely, consistent schedule across platforms in coordination with the Communications Director and Communications Officer. They will create content on a regular basis, in the form of video, multimedia and written stories, as well as manage content production by other staffers and consultants. For our annual awards event honoring outstanding journalists, the Content Manager will manage the production process for several tribute and other videos (see this year’s playlist here).
To succeed in this role, the ideal candidate will have a mix of excellent visual storytelling and written communication skills, along with strong news judgment. They’ll feel confident producing videos, multimedia and written content, working within ICFJ’s tone and style. And they have a proven track record of coordinating and managing projects effectively and efficiently.
ICFJ prides itself on being a mission-driven organization with a global impact. We take employee growth and experience seriously and try hard to make sure that every staff member has the opportunity to grow and rise through the ranks.
- In coordination with communications colleagues and in line with ICFJ’s new strategy, establish and manage a content plan for videos, website stories, newsletters, major events and print products, with specific goals for production and reach across platforms
- Operationalize and regularly update this plan in the form of an editorial calendar
- Coordinate with the Communications Officer to develop marketing plans for content promotion across channels, including for ICFJ’s new research
- Manage feedback and approval process for various content among internal stakeholders
- Implement systems for generating and organizing storytelling materials such as photos, footage, and impact stories
- Hold training sessions and coach staff on storytelling
- Assist in the production, writing, review, design, and dissemination strategy of ICFJ’s annual report and marketing collateral, in coordination with Communications Director
- Assist in strengthening ICFJ’s brand voice and brand narrative
- Assist in setting newsletter strategy and producing newsletters, integrating it with our overall content strategy
- Create and edit short-form, digital videos from start to finish for ICFJ’s social, other digital channels and virtual/in-person events
- Serve as project manager every year for all ICFJ Tribute to Journalists videos, sourcing and managing shooters, editors and producers on event promo, award winner tribute videos and more
- Generate interesting story ideas about the journalists in our network and about our work by building collaborative relationships with other departments to become an expert on ICFJ impact and programming
- Write stories for the website and edit story submissions solicited from staff
- Serve as a strategic partner for programs on content strategy
- Provide writing support to programs on short-form content, including reviewing stories and newsletters
- Assist in tracking content metrics, writing and editing social media/other website content, and posting content as needed
- 3-7 years of experience working as a multimedia journalist and/or digital communications professional
- Knowledge of the entire video production process and experience creating video for a variety of platforms from start to finish
- Proficient in video editing
- Evolving understanding of cutting-edge communications and video tools, tactics and trends, with an ability to pivot when platforms change their formulas or testing reveals new insights
- A strong sense of compelling type design and graphics
- Knowledge of how to capture people’s attention on digital platforms
- Strong writing ability with experience editing
- Strong news judgment
- Proactive and able to identify and take initiative on projects
- Confident in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of the importance of cultural competencies when speaking to different audiences
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or commensurate experience
It’s a plus if you:
- Worked in a newsroom
- Have advanced video editing knowledge
- Have experience shooting video
- Are proficient in Adobe suite of products
- Worked internationally
- Understand SEO best practices
- Are bilingual (Spanish preferred)
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter with salary requirement, and three references with contact information and complete the application found by clicking on this link. In addition, please submit three samples of videos you have produced and a brief writing sample of 1-3 pages.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
ICFJ is a non-profit classified as a 501 (c) (3) and as such receives funding from public and private grant funds and donations. Our funders are listed at the bottom of our annual report here: