About the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ):
ICFJ empowers a global network of journalists to produce news coverage that leads to better governments, stronger economies, more vibrant societies and healthier lives. We have worked with more than 140,000 journalists from 180 countries over the past 35 years.
The Donor Relations Manager is primarily responsible for the successful operation of the donor recognition and solicitation program, in order to enhance and grow revenue from current and prospective donors. The Donor Relations Manager is a full-time position that reports to the Director of Development. The Donor Relations Manager will work closely with ICFJ’s Vice President of Development, the Programs staff and senior leadership as needed.
This position provides:
- donor acknowledgement, with support for stewardship, outreach and engagement
- comprehensive operational support for the development department
- effective database oversight, management and reporting
- event logistics
The Manager is responsible for the smooth operation of in-person events, taking a lead role in coordinating the logistics of the Annual Awards Dinner, as well as other ICFJ fundraising and cultivation events. This position will also help design and implement other donor outreach efforts, including online fundraising campaigns and event-based mobile giving.
Paramount to this position is the ability to manifest a strong dedication to producing the highest-quality of written and oral communications, and the judgement to effectively and appropriately match tone to audience, especially major donors and Board members. This position requires independence and the ability to multitask, while maintaining a clear view of how each project supports the organization’s mission.
- Manage ICFJ’s donor recognition program, through adherence to information tracking processes regarding acknowledgement, recognition, on-going communications and continued cultivation of past and current donors.
- Provide donors with quality acknowledgement and gift compliance support through production of the highest-level correspondence
- Work creatively and collaboratively, through new initiatives and solutions, to enhance their relationship with ICFJ and increase the likelihood of continued contributions
- Support the Vice President and Director of Development in their fundraising and cultivation activities, including the launch of a new campaign, major gifts program, and the Annual Awards Dinner
- Work with the Director of Development to implement solicitation and year-round engagement plans to retain current and attract new donors
- Maintain professional and meaningful interaction with a diverse and varied donor base, via phone, digital, and face-to-face
- Generate development reports from the Salesforce database (sponsors, major donors, individuals, lapsed donor, etc.), through supervision of the Development Assistant
- Conduct prospect research for the Director of Development, Vice President of Development, President and other members of senior leadership, as appropriate
- Manage the donor experience of major cultivation events, such as the Annual Awards Dinner. Under the supervision of the Director of Development, coordinate all event logistics with an eye to quality donor engagement, from proper compilation of invitation lists, ticket process oversight, sponsor benefits management, seating charts, and onsite guest registration
- Collaborate with external events company and other vendors to ensure seamless integration of event logistics.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Journalism, English, History, Communications, or Marketing
- Three-to-five years of professional experience in nonprofit organizations; demonstrated success in forging relationships with multiple donors
- Prior experience in a database management as well as knowledge of CRM database required; Salesforce experience preferred, but other database experience accepted
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal, written and digital communication skills
Qualifications and Experience
- High energy and passion for ICFJ’s mission of mobilizing private support for great journalism and journalists
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to influence and engage diverse range of audiences including board members, senior leadership, donors, executives and potential funding partners
- Good understanding of philanthropy, and a working knowledge of the fundamental disciplines of fundraising and development
- A professional and resourceful style: The ability to work independently and as part of a team; detail oriented, well organized, focused and goal-oriented, with a high level of initiative and energy, as well as problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and discretion
- Tangible experience in to executing a comprehensive donor recognition program, including helping manage complex and carefully orchestrated cultivation events for major donors
- Strong organizational and project management skills. Experience with major event management a plus.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter with salary requirement, and three references with contact information using this form: https://www.tfaforms.com/4780941. Only complete applications will be considered.