Reports to: IJNet Director
Department: Community and Content
Supervise: IJNet Intern
Employment type: Full Time
Salary range: starting at $49,050
IJNet keeps professional journalists at all levels up to date on the latest media innovations, online journalism resources, training opportunities and expert advice. IJNet is produced in eight languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Persian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
The IJNet Managing Editor position encompasses a wide range of duties: editing, writing, creating social content and tracking website analytics. The position requires someone with a global outlook to assign and edit innovative stories and multimedia content for the English language site, and engage IJNet followers across social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
• Assign and edit articles from IJNet freelance contributors, ensuring fresh content is featured daily
• Research, report and write content for IJNet
• Manage and produce content for IJNet’s social media accounts on a daily basis
• Provide editorial and social media strategy guidance to IJNet’s seven other language editors
• Engage IJNet’s readers through surveys, newsletters, social media and other methods
• Produce multimedia content, including podcast episodes and social media videos
• Manage IJNet DEI practices effectively
• Generate fresh content and engagement ideas around the most pressing conversations and trends in the industry
• Follow ICFJ’s Monitor and Evaluation process, including monitoring the website’s analytics across all languages. This includes tracking social media growth across all platforms.
• Collaborate with ICFJ research and communications departments on content and promotional campaigns
• Create and manage partnerships with individual journalists, journalism organizations and others who can help strengthen the site and its reach
• Moderate webinars and represent IJNet at conferences as needed
• Hire and oversee IJNet interns, providing guidance and support for their work
• Other duties as assigned
• Writing & Editorial Excellence: Produces high-quality editorial work; edits well; follows editorial policies; meets deadlines; generates valuable story ideas
• Managerial Excellence: Displays effective leadership; collaborates effectively with IJNet team of editors, translators, interns and freelancers; shows commitment to diversity; quickly and effectively resolves disputes; provides regular feedback; responds to staff needs.
• Innovation and Creativity: Proposes innovative ideas; uses digital media in innovative ways; networks with others in the field to identify new ideas and resources; makes ICFJ processes more efficient and cutting-edge.
• Professional Knowledge: Understanding of best journalistic practices, useful reporting tools and global trends across the news industry.
• Geographic Knowledge: General knowledge of international political, economic and cultural/social environments in which journalists, newsrooms and media entrepreneurs/innovators operate
• Self-Management: Ability to manage workload and adjust to change by prioritizing and/or using new resources to accomplish program goals; ability to complete assignments in a timely manner; ability to work under an appropriate level of supervision; ability to demonstrate professional behavior
• Critical Thinking: Ability to analyze and problem-solve
• Commitment to Excellence: Ability to consistently achieve or surpass program deliverables through attention to detail, accuracy and focus on program impact
• Communications: Ability to communicate program needs effectively to ICFJ supervisors
• Technical Knowledge: Understanding and ability to use online tools including Google Drive, MailChimp, Airtable, Asana and Canva; ability to show ICFJ staff how to use new resources
• Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
o Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds. Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments
o Ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically and socioeconomically diverse communities
o Experience working on a diverse team
o Experience working with different communications styles
o Commitment to working towards a more diverse and equitable media environment
- Associate or higher degree in journalism or 3-4 years online journalism experience
- Editing experience, including assigning stories and working on story ideas with writers
- Experience with social media strategies
- Experience with multimedia reporting
- Familiarity with media & tech industry
- Mastery of AP style
- Fluent in English
- Preferred candidates will have working knowledge of Drupal’s CMS and basic knowledge of HTML
- Preferred candidates will have a demonstrated interest in international news and media development
- Fluency in other IJNet languages is a plus
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter with salary requirement, and three references with contact information and complete the application found by clicking on this link.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.