Fact-based journalism is under unprecedented attack at a time when a free, independent news media has never been more important. The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) works to ensure that the cornerstone of healthy democracies - reliable, trustworthy news – stays strong for generations to come. We give journalists the support and tools they need to do their jobs better. Through our work, journalists are enhancing news coverage and connecting more deeply with their audiences. ICFJ’s network is truly international - in the past five years alone, we have worked with 160,000+ journalists from 173 countries. Our programs have impact: Stories produced by our participants have led to the fall of corrupt governments, promoted better laws and made communities safer and healthier.
ICFJ is looking for a committed and talented intern to join our communications team and work with us to tell ICFJ's story. This is an exciting and paid opportunity for a self-starter who wants to advance journalism globally and further develop their communications skills - particularly in digital media.
Interns should be enthusiastic, efficient and flexible. Good writing skills and experience with social media are required. An interest in journalism and/or international affairs is strongly suggested. Applicants should exhibit a spirit of teamwork.
Duties will include developing written, visual and video content, contributing to the maintenance of ICFJ's website, providing support for ICFJ events and other administrative tasks. The internship requires a time commitment of 30 to 35 hours a week starting on January 16, 2024 and lasting at least four months, but no more than six. Applicants must be based in Washington, D.C. for the duration of the internship.
- Write and publish material for social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Own social media analytics
- Design visuals for social media
- Film and edit video interviews
- Help compile regular analytics reports using multiple tools, such as Facebook Insights and Google Analytics
- Update ICFJ’s website
- Write short web stories and press mentions
- Support ICFJ events
- Provide administrative support as needed
- Intern must be enrolled in a degree-granting program during the internship or a recent graduate. Marketing, communications, journalism and design majors preferred.
- Experience with video editing and video editing software
- Highly collaborative with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Take pride in your work
It is a plus if you have experience with:
- Major design applications, such as Adobe Creative Suite
How to apply:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should complete an application and upload a cover letter, resume, a social media graphic, and a writing sample.