The Global Business Journalism (GBJ) Program at Tsinghua University offers a unique opportunity for college graduates who hope to pursue a career in economic or financial journalism. GBJ offers:
- An acclaimed international faculty featuring veteran media practitioners and brilliant academic researchers.
- Study at one of the world’s top universities.
- A diverse student body composed of some of the finest undergraduates from the world’s largest economies and developing nations alike.
- Partnerships with the International Center for Journalists, a leading global innovator, and Bloomberg News, the world’s pre-eminent business journalism source.
- Generous scholarships for the top applicants.
- Internship opportunities at organizations such as Bloomberg, The New York Times, Beijing Review, CCTV and CNN.
- An opportunity to learn from leading experts on global business and the rapidly changing Chinese economy, which is playing an ever-larger role in our interdependent global economy.
“The program is preparing me to be a well-equipped journalist in a new era,” one student said at the end of the last semester. “I’ve learned a lot of practical skills,” said another student. “Great courses and professors.”
Applications are now being accepted for the 2016-2017 academic year. The first wave of applications – including all requests for financial aid – are due by March 10, 2016. The final application deadline is March 20, 2016.
“Eight years ago, the Global Business Journalism Master’s Degree Program was just a dream, an idea conceived by some exceptionally creative souls at Tsinghua University in Beijing and at the International Center for Journalists in Washington,” GBJ Co-Director Rick Dunham told the 2015 graduates at the July 10 commencement ceremony. “In just a few years, it has gained tremendous respect throughout China and around the world, attracting renowned international scholars and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists to work with our students and share their wisdom and their skills.”
Liu Shaohua, a 2013 graduate who already has created two new-media products for People’s Daily, told the class of 2015 that “you guys are lucky enough to be trained in this great program, not to be part of the change, but to lead it.”
About the Program
There is soaring demand for journalists who can help the public understand the complexities of global business and the economy. Students in the Global Business Journalism Program at Tsinghua University learn these skills firsthand in China, where the world's second-largest economy is undergoing a dramatic transformation.
This is the only master's program in business journalism in China taught completely in English. Students benefit from international faculty that has included award-winning journalists from media such as Bloomberg News, Business Week and The New York Times, as well as renowned Chinese scholars with degrees from prestigious international universities.
For more information about GBJ’s course offerings, please click here.
The facilities at Tsinghua include a laboratory of 10 Bloomberg terminals, the largest such donation at any university in the world, giving students access to an unparalleled database of financial and economic information used by sophisticated professionals. The Journalism School’s virtual television studio and media convergence laboratory offer students the latest tools to develop skills needed for digital journalism.
About 20 international students are admitted to the two-year, full-time program each year. Enrollment in the courses is about half international, half Chinese. Graduates of the intense program emerge with a network of valuable connections that will enrich their careers for years to come.
How to Apply
Qualification of Applicants
Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree.
- The completed Foreigner's Application Form for Admission to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University, signed by the applicant with recent 2-inch photo.
- Statement of Purpose and résumé.
- The original or the notarized degree certificate or proof of education at the academic institution (need to submit original or notarized degree certificate after being awarded) and academic transcript. The degree certificate and academic transcript must be officially sealed.
- Two academic recommendation letters from scholars of associate professorship or higher. Must show reference’s phone number and email address on the letter.
- For non-native-English-speaking students, please provide English level certificates. e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, etc.
- Copy of the page with personal information in the passport (personal and ordinary passport).
- The completed Application Form for Tsinghua University Scholarship (if applicable, original).
- Non-refundable application fee: RMB600.
The certificates provided should be the original documents in Chinese or in English, otherwise notarized translations in Chinese or English are required. None of the above application documents will be returned.
Step 1: Online Application
- Complete the online application on the website of the Foreign Student Affairs Office, Tsinghua University.
- Print and sign the Application Form produced by the system after the application status changes to “verified.”
Step 2: Documents Submission
- Submit the application documents listed above to the address indicated below by posted mail or in person.
Step 3：Application Fee Payment
Two ways to pay application fee:
Pay online using credit card
After your online application form is verified or the materials are received by Tsinghua University, the staff will make an online payment draft, and at the same time, an email will be automatically sent out to remind you to pay the application fee via the online application system.
Pay in cash at the Foreign Student Affairs Office (Room 120, Zijing Building 22) of Tsinghua University.
First Round: October 1, 2015 -- March 10, 2016
Second Round: March 1, 2016 -- March 20, 2016
Both the Online Application and a complete set of Application documents should be completed and the package should be received by March 20, 2016. If you want to apply for scholarships, please send us all your documents during the first round.
Tuition and Scholarships
Tuition: 39000 RMB/year.
Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance: RMB 600/year.
Please visit http://is.tsinghua.edu.cn for more information about scholarships.
Ms. Xiaoyu Zhou (English Name: Olivia)
Room 302, Omnicom Building,
School of Journalism and Communication
Beijing 100084, P. R. China
Tel: +86 10 6279 6842
Fax: +86 10 6277 1410