The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) in partnership with the Sri Lanka Press Institute (SLPI), will build the capacity and deepen the professional knowledge of Sri Lankan journalists and editors by providing them with the skills to conduct investigations, identify reliable sources, and fact-check information.
Participating journalists and editors will produce investigative journalism pieces and make new and active network connections that will help them to advance their professionalism, ethics, and credibility in their fields.
Upcoming Financial Forensics training in Colombo
Dates: June 28-30, 2023
Eligibility: All Sri Lankan journalists
Topic: Financial forensics (accounting, finance, using third-party research and due diligence tools, investigating money laundering and corruption)
The program includes the following activities:
- Editorial roundtable meetings and trainings with regional experts on investigative newsrooms systems.
- Training series on data journalism, financial forensics, accountability journalism and fact-checking including webinars, workshops, and consultations with international media experts
- Reporting grants for independent journalists and three months of dedicated one-on-one virtual mentorship
- Grants for up to 10 newsrooms to invest in investigative projects and resources such as editors, technology, and data desks
- U.S. residency program with 3-week newsroom placement
- Ten-day study tour in Washington, D.C., New York City, and San Francisco
- Digital investigative reporting guide for Sri Lankan journalists in English, Sinhalese, and Tamil
Journalists and editors in Sri Lanka interested in advancing their professionalism, ethics, and credibility in their fields may apply. This three-year program will focus on conducting investigations, identifying reliable sources, and fact-checking information. All activities will be built around connecting the journalism community in Sri Lanka with each other and their regional and international peers.
This program is sponsored by the U.S. Embassy Colombo.