With the support of the U.S. Embassy in Skopje, the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) is partnering with the Metamorphosis Foundation to provide foundational training to young journalists in North Macedonia.
Through workshops, internships, and a study tour in the U.S, the program will give young journalists the necessary skills to drive high-quality reporting using data and verified facts, introduce them to low-cost or open-source digital tools to assist them in their work, and link them to like-minded peers for exchange of shared problems and potential solutions. The program's current activities build upon a previous iteration of the program, which ran from September 2022 through September 2023.
About the Program
ICFJ and the Metamorphosis Foundation will implement the project in three stages in 2023-24, to include:
- Three three-day workshops in data journalism and visualizations, mis/disinformation and fact-checking, and pre-bunking to be held in various regions from December 2023 to May 2024. All workshops will be conducted in the English language. Young journalists, journalism students and bloggers from all eight regions of North Macedonia are encouraged to apply to each workshop, but priority will be given to those who did not participate in the previous version of this program.
- Data Journalism and Visualizations (December 14-16, 2023 in Skopje) - applications open from November 2 - December 1
- Mis/disinformation and Fact-Checking (March 2024) - dates and location to be announced soon
- Pre-bunking (May 2024) - dates and location to be announced soon
- A month-long summer internship at the Metamorphosis Foundation’s three media organizations for the six best-performing workshop participants
- A five-day U.S. capstone event with ICFJ in Washington, D.C., for the program’s three top performers, accompanied by one senior staffer from the Foundation.
About the Metamorphosis Foundation
Established in 2004, the Metamorphosis Foundation works on strengthening the awareness and capacity of citizens and civil society. It also supports government to fulfill its democratic role in serving society. The Foundation aims to become a leading national and regional advocate in supporting and enabling citizen engagement and government accountability, with a particular emphasis on the use of information technology and knowledge-sharing.
Apply to the Program
The application for the first workshop, Data Journalism and Data Visualizations (December 14-16, 2023), is open from November 2 - December 1. People from all eight regions of the country are encouraged to apply, but priority will be given to those who did not participate in the previous version of this program.
ICFJ will be accepting applications for participation in each of our three workshops on a rolling basis. Young journalists, journalism students and bloggers from all eight regions of the country are encouraged to apply, but priority will be given to those who did not participate in the previous version of this program. Please see the menu at the top of the page for the current application dates.