With the support of the U.S. Embassy in Skopje, the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) is partnering with the Metamorphosis Foundation to provide foundational training to young journalists in North Macedonia.
Through workshops, internships, and a study tour in the U.S, the program will give young journalists the necessary skills to drive high-quality reporting using data and verified facts, introduce them to low-cost or open-source digital tools to assist them in their work, and link them to like-minded peers for exchange of shared problems and potential solutions.
About the Program
ICFJ and the Metamorphosis Foundation will implement the project in three stages in 2023, to include:
- Four three-day workshops in data journalism and visualizations, mis/disinformation, and fact-checking, to be held in various regions from February to May. All workshops will be conducted in the English language.
- Data Journalism and Visualizations (February 8-10, 2023 in Skopje) - applications were open to Skopje and Polog residents through January 9, 2023
- Mis/disinformation and Fact-Checking (March 22-24, 2023 in Struga) - applications were open to Southwestern and Pelagonia residents from February 7 to March 3.
- Data Journalism and Visualizations (April 26-28, 2023 in Strumica) - applications were open to Vardar and Southeastern residents through April 24, 2023.
- Mis/disinformation and Fact-Checking (May 24-26, 2023 in Shtip) - applications will be open to Eastern and Northeastern residents through May 22, 2023.
- A month-long summer internship at the Metamorphosis Foundation’s three media organizations for the four best-performing workshop participants
- A week-long U.S. capstone event with ICFJ in Washington, D.C., for the program’s two top performers, accompanied by a senior staffer of the Foundation.
About the Metamorphosis Foundation
Established in 2004, the Metamorphosis Foundation works on strengthening the awareness and capacity of citizens and civil society. It also supports government to fulfill its democratic role in serving society. The Foundation aims to become a leading national and regional advocate in supporting and enabling citizen engagement and government accountability, with a particular emphasis on the use of information technology and knowledge-sharing.
Apply to the Program
The application for the final workshop, Fact-Checking and Other Ways and Means of Countering Disinformation (5/24 - 5/26), will be open from May 1 to May 22, 2023. Priority will be given to residents of the Eastern and Northeastern regions. Please continue to check this page for the latest updates.
ICFJ will be accepting applications for participation in each of our four workshops on a rolling basis. Young journalists, journalism students and bloggers from the workshop regions specified above are encouraged to apply. Please see the menu at the top of the page for the current application dates.