What are the costs to participate in this virtual program?
There are no costs to participate in the program.
What level of English proficiency is required?
Participants should have very strong English reading, writing, and speaking skills. The application should be filled out in English, and the interview will be in conducted in English. For more eligibility requirements, see below.
What is the selection process for this program?
There will be two separate rounds of selection for this program. Applications for the Spring 2021 program are currently open. During the month of May, ICFJ will evaluate applications in consultation with the Public Affairs Section of each country’s U.S. Embassy and partner organizations on the ground. Then program finalists will be interviewed before being accepted into the program. Only completed applications submitted by the April 15th deadline will be considered.
I can’t participate in the program in Spring 2021. Can I apply for the Fall 2021 program?
Applications for the Fall 2021 program will open sometime in Summer 2021.
What will my virtual fellowship placement be?
Fellows will be virtually paired with U.S. "hosts" across the country at digital communications firms, startup incubators and cutting-edge digital newsrooms. ICFJ will identify fellowship placements based on the individual fellow’s background, interests, skills and project proposals. Please note that ICFJ cannot guarantee placement with any particular organization.
The program is open to young professionals and emerging leaders between the ages of 25 and 40 who meet the following criteria:
- Is a citizen, national or permanent resident of their home country;
- Is living and working in his/her home country at the time of application;
- Has at least two (2) years of professional experience at the time of application;
- Submits a complete application, with all required documents, by the application deadline;
- Is proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application.
Program dates for Spring 2021 Latin American fellows:
- Recruitment of fellows: Spring 2021
- Selection of fellows: Spring 2021
- Orientation: May 24 – May 28, 2021
- Virtual Newsroom Embed: June 1 - July 13, 2021
- Professional mentorship: July 14, 2021 through September 14, 2021
- Program Debrief: September 15, 2021
Program dates for Fall 2021 Latin American fellows:
- Recruitment of fellows: Summer 2021
- Selection of fellows: Summer 2021
- Orientation: August 16 - 20, 2021
- Virtual Newsroom Embed (six weeks): August 23 - October 4, 2021
- Professional mentorship: October 5, 2021 through December 5, 2021
- Program Debrief: December 6, 2021