Fundación Violeta B. de Chamorro, ICFJ, and CONNECTAS invite applications for their "Innovation Funds for Digital Journalists in Nicaragua." The funds will finance five (5) initiatives, with a maximum of $5,000 per project to either a group or individual.
The Innovation Funds seek to support:
- Already existing projects/digital initiatives or emerging projects/digital initiatives, which aim to produce in-depth journalistic content on national topics of interest in their local communities.
FVBCH, ICFJ, and CONNECTAS will judge applications on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the project in the current context;
- The project's methodology and how the project/digital initiative will be achieved;
- The likelihood of the journalist or team of journalist's to implement the project in a 3-4 month time period;
- The journalist or team of journalist's prior experience developing a similar project;
- The journalist or team of journalist's ability to include elements which will increase the project's visibility (i.e. multimedia, convincing visualizations, etc.)
- The likelihood that the project will increase content on topics of national interest;
- The potential impact on public opinion.
Here are several examples of the types of projects/digital initiatives that the Innovation Fund seek to fund:
Apply here before May 18, 2018.
Those selected to receive the Innovation Fund will receive one-on-one mentoring to improve the project/initiative, maximize the potential reach of the Initiative, and foment collaboration in the region. The mentoring will be primarily online, but ICFJ will also conduct trips to Managau for in-person meetings.
At this time, we can only finance proposal ideas from Nicaraguan journalists. Applications from other countries won't be considered.